Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

Quoting Felix Lechner (2021-04-20 00:55:19)
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand how you semantically see 7 and 8 as comparable.
>
> Aside from Bdale's reason for ranking unwanted options below FD—which
> were motivated by the voting system—I do: GRs do not decide a matter
> with prejudice, even though the weight to bring them again may be
> substantial. Therefore, doing nothing is very similar to doing nothing
> but talking more.
>
> As we all heal from this divisive issue, I furthermore find it
> meaningful that proponents of a shortened discussion, who were at
> times accused of pushing the resolution, were actually aligned with
> voters: By a narrow margin, people did not want to discuss the matter
> at all.

I am one of those feeling the process happened too fast, and at the same
time I voted 7 as my first choice.

I disagree with your conclusion.  Seems it is directly tied to your
interpretation that 7 somewhat equals 8, which I also don't share:

I can only read 7 as "We shall not formally act as organisation on this
topic, only defer action to individuals", and 8 as "We shall do
something else than presented on this ballot".

I. e. to me 7 and 8 are quite different: Only 7 is a closure, and only 8
is an indication of "we ned more time".

Or rephrased: Wanting more time to prepare ballot options is to me quite
different from rejecting all closure options presented on the ballot by
voting for the non-closure option.

 - Jonas