Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result

Quoting Don Armstrong (2021-04-19 00:39:12)
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2021, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> > If we look at the actual ballots, it's really interesting. Options 7
> > and 8 were semantically pretty much equivalent. It's hard to see any
> > reason for someone to rank them very differently.
>
> 7 was a decision to not issue a statement ["There's no statement on
> this issue that I want Debian to issue"]. 8 was a decision for further
> discussion ["There may be statement on this issue that I'd want Debian
> to issue, but it's not here."]
>
> When there isn't an explicit "no decision" option on the ballot,
> further discussion encompass both, but that is not the case here.
>
> > It's very difficult to imagine someone who actually preferred option
> > 7 being equally satisfied with any of options 1-6 and 8.
>
> Here's an example thought process that works: "I want Debian to stop
> discussing this issue and anything more that Debian does on this issue
> is equally bad."
>
> Or another one: "I know that I prefer this option, but I'm not
> comfortable with the rest of the options to decide what the project
> should do, so I'll defer to the project's judgement."
>
> Not to say that there aren't voters who are confused, but you should
> contact them to figure out why they voted the way they did before
> assuming that they didn't know what they were doing.

In case anyone wants to pick a live brain on this, I volunteer:

At first I voted 7-8: I explicitly preferred Debian to *not* issue a
statement.

Then, after reading the discussion on this list about the concern over
people leaving options below FD "blank", I changed my vote to wade
through all those options I did *not* want Debian to make and try rank
the severity of their badness - while being worried that my vote is
public so I expose my priority of evil thoughts to the World.

 - Jonas

P.S.

This is *not* an invitation to rehash a debate over which ballot options
are or are not sane. My offer is that if you have trouble understanding
why someone deliberately choose to vote by the two _patterns_ described
above then I am willing to reflect on that.  Perhaps you even manage to
point out to me that I am a fool and did what I did for the wrong
reasons.