Re: Making the RMS resolution a Secret Ballot

Le dimanche, 11 avril 2021, 01.02:18 h CEST Eduard Bloch a écrit :
> Those who insist on making the personal views on this (non-technical!!!)
> GR public should be ashamed of dragging their fellows into denuding
> themselves for no good reason.

Just clarifying one thing here, to make sure there's no misunderstanding.

All non-election Debian GRs have had the tally sheet of nominal votes
published, thereby making the personal views of all voters public. [0]

( Looking at the last GR; https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002.en.html
  links to https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002_tally.txt, which has your
  vote: "V: 67512348 blade Eduard Bloch". )

For what I'm concerned, I don't "insist on making the personal views on this
GR public", because it was always clear (to me) that all voters' personal
views on this GR would end up being made public by the secretary on our
website; this is how we have all experienced the publication of GR results for
at least a decade. I insist on "not changing how we collectively run through
the GR experience in the middle of a sensitive GR". This is not "dragging my
fellows into denuding themselves", because my expectation is that every voter
is well aware that their vote would be published, in this GR as in any GR. [1]

    If you don't want to (or cannot afford to) see your personal views on this
    GR to be made public, then don't vote.

Don't misread me; it is a very very serious concern that external factors
(threats, pression, etc) make it so that some of our voters will not vote in
fear of retaliation. But I think that if we, as a project, accept to bend our
traditional and constitutional procedures under that external pressure through
emergency exceptional measures, we also make the project more vulnerable to
future external pressure; we also weaken this GR's results too.

We must protect our members from harassment; we must defend the project from
external influence; and we must call out external pressures in the strongest
terms possible. Threats against Debian project members because of their public
opinions in the project are *not acceptable*, ever [1], and we must stand, as
a project, against those threatening our members and our community. The
problem we face here is the pressure and the threats against project members,
not the publication of the GR votes. Let's not forget that.

--
    OdyX

[0] For as long as I remember at least, but certainly since I gained voting
    rights in 2011. I just checked, the 1999 vote about logo licenses already
    had a public tally sheet; https://www.debian.org/vote/1999/result_0002
[1] From https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2021/04/msg00001.html
> VOTING SECRECY
> This is a non-secret vote. After the voting period is over the details on
> who voted what will be published.
[2] Critics against one's opinion of course are.