Re: Making the RMS resolution a Secret Ballot

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 13:12:26 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> There has been increasing harassment of people based on what they are
> expected to vote on the rms gr.
> People on both sides have expressed increasing discomfort with the idea
> of voting in public with the entire world knowing how they voted.
>
> I argued on another list that it would be appropriate for the DPL (with
> the concurrence of the secretary) to  make the vote secret using
> constitution section 5.1 (3).

I would like to state that I disagree with retroactively making a public
vote private. I voted with the assumption this would be a public vote
and as such, as is common on Debian GRs, I have already published my
vote.

It was very clear when the vote was called that this would be a public
vote. At that point, a number of people had already received significant
harassment, so I don't believe this is a new concern.

To reduce harassment, we could possibly release the tally at a later
date, rather than immediately; say, no sooner than 3 months but no later
than one year.

I do not support making the vote private, and I do not want it to seem
like that there is consensus that it should be. If the concern is "the
entire world", I would be okay with the tally being published
internally.

Thanks Sam for raising this.

- e