Re: opinion on Choice 1

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 03:03:48PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> Le dimanche 04 avril 2021 à 16:37:15-0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :

> > > Welcome to Debian.
> > > People are free to express their opinion, even if they are not owning
> > > an @debian.org email address. And that is actually a very good thing.
> > > The interested reader is able to filter messages and maybe maintain a
> > > list of people to ignore if needed. It might be annoying for you, but
> > > free speech is not always fun.

> > People are free to express their opinion.  That does not mean the Debian
> > Project is obligated to provide a platform for those opinions on the
> > debian-vote mailing list, which exists to facilitate discussions among
> > voting members of the Debian Project regarding matters that will be voted
> > on.

> > Non-voting posters to debian-vote are almost exclusively outside agitators
> > and there's no reason subscribing to debian-vote should mean receiving their
> > bullshit in our mailboxes.

> Even though it's hard and can be tiresome to many of us (and maybe
> drives some away), as long as possible, I'd like the majority of our
> lists to stay open to all people willing to express something.

> Blocking potentially relevant comments from non contributors because
> some trolls are trying to wreck havoc is giving them too much importance
> and therefore giving them an easy victory.

Can you point to an example of a post you consider actually (not "possibly")
relevant from a non Debian voter to debian-vote in the past 2 years?

Why should we allow third parties to lobby Debian electors using our mailing
list infrastructure?

> And, despite what I personally think, a non-contributor calling the RMS
> vote a "witch hunt" is not necessarily a troll.

I never used the word "troll", which for me has a very specific meaning
grounded in its historical usage in online communities.  I referred to them
as "outside agitators", which I believe they are - whether or not a
particular individual's intention is to derail the discussion, it is
certainly their intention to influence the outcome of Debian's decision
process according to their own interests, whether or not those align with
the interests of the Debian voters as a democratic body.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/