Re: Amendment to GR on RMS rejoining FSF

On 3/26/21 1:47 PM, Sruthi Chandran wrote:

On 26/03/21 10:45 pm, Sruthi Chandran wrote:

Dear fellow DDs,

Second the amendment text if acceptable to you :)

Re-sending with fixed signature and replacing twitter link with
gnusocial link.

==== Begin text ====

Under section 4.1.5 of the constitution, the Developers make the
following statement:

*Debian’s statement on Richard Stallman rejoining the FSF board*

We at Debian are profoundly disappointed to hear of the re-election of
Richard Stallman to a leadership position at the Free Software
Foundation, after a series of serious accusations of misconduct led to
his resignation as president and board member of the FSF in 2019.

One crucial factor in making our community more inclusive is to
recognise and reflect when other people are harmed by our
own actions and consider this feedback in future actions. The way
Richard Stallman announced his return to the board unfortunately lacks
any acknowledgement of this kind of thought process. We are deeply
disappointed that the FSF board elected him a board member again despite
no discernible steps were taken
by him to be accountable for, much less make amends for, his past
actions or those who have been harmed by them. Finally, we are also
disturbed by the secretive process of his re-election, and how it was
belately conveyed [0] to FSF’s staff and supporters.

We believe this step and how it was communicated sends wrong and hurtful
message and harms the future of the Free Software movement. The goal of
the software freedom movement is to empower all people to control
technology and thereby create a better society for everyone. Free
Software is meant to serve everyone regardless of their age, ability or
disability, gender identity, sex, ethnicity, nationality, religion or
sexual orientation. This requires an inclusive and diverse environment
that welcomes all contributors equally. Debian realises that we
ourselves and the Free Software movement still have to work hard to be
in that place where everyone feels safe and respected to participate in
it in order to fulfil the movement's mission.

That is why, we call for his resignation from all FSF bodies. The FSF
needs to seriously reflect on this decision as well as their
decision-making process to prevent similar issues from happening again.
Therefore, in the current situation we see ourselves unable to
collaborate both with the FSF and any other organisation in which
Richard Stallman has a leading position. Instead, we will continue to
work with groups and individuals who foster diversity and equality in
the Free Software movement in order to achieve our joint goal of
empowering all users to control technology.

[0] https://status.fsf.org/notice/3796703

Heavily based on:

[1] https://fsfe.org/news/2021/news-20210324-01.html

[2]