Re: Proposal: Init Diversity

Dmitry Bogatov <KAction@disroot.org> writes:

> Here I formally propose new version of my draft, and withdraw all
> previous versions of it.
>
> Being able to run Debian systems with init systems other than
> systemd continues to be value for the project. Package MUST work
> with pid1 != systemd, unless it was designed by upstream to work
> exclusively with systemd and no support for running without
> systemd is available.
>
> Software is not to be considered to be designed by upstream to
> work exclusively with systemd, merely because upstream do not
> provide, and/or will not accept, an init script.

I second this proposal.

I further propose this amendment to it:

- ---begin
Being able to run Debian systems with init systems other than systemd
continues to be of value to the project. Every package MUST work with
pid1 != systemd, unless it was designed by upstream to work
exclusively with systemd and no support for running without systemd is
available.

Software is not to be considered to be designed by upstream to work
exclusively with systemd merely because upstream does not provide,
and/or will not accept, an init script.
- ---end

Since the word-wrapping has changed, here is a diff -w (minus the new
line-wrapping) so you can easily see the changes I actually made:

2c2
< systemd continues to be value for the project. Package MUST work
- ---
> systemd continues to be of value to the project. Every package MUST
> work
8c8
< work exclusively with systemd, merely because upstream do not
- ---
> work exclusively with systemd merely because upstream does not

It is my intent that this is merely a tidying up of the language, not a
change to the substance of your proposal.

Regards,

Matthew

- --
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."
http://www.debian.org