Re: Q to all candidates: about advancing Debian (as organisation) while not being DPL

Hi

El 30/3/19 a las 23:22, Joerg Jaspert escribió:
> On 15356 March 1977, Laura Arjona Reina wrote:
>
>> There are some teams in Debian that focus in areas similar to the DPL
>> tasks and allow people to make a difference in the project working on
>> them, without the need - and the burden? or the satisfaction? - of
>> being a DPL. For example:
>>
>> * treasury, press/publicity and partners deal with the relationship
>> with companies/organisations,
>> * publicity/press, the web team and events team can have influence on
>> the image we transmit and how the project is perceived
>> * frontdesk, MIA, outreach, events and the welcome team can have an
>> impact in expanding/improving our user base and contributor base,
>> helping and motivating them etc.)
>> * ...
>
> I do not think frontdesk or MIA fit, except for delegation, they do not
> work with the DPL at all.

I'm not saying they work together with the DPL. I was mentioning some
teams that allow people to do work that has (or may have) a big impact
across the whole project and the wider community.

>> Sometimes I feel that having a (single person) DPL role is somehow
>> harmful for people to get involved in these tasks:
>> - the elected person gets so squeezed that after their service they
>> just prefer to focus in other tasks,
>
> Unable to properly comment on that one, until *maybe* next year. :)
> Though I've done lots of high profile (and sometimes) pressure jobs, and
> am still here and around.
>
>> - the non-elected get depressed and don't continue contributing
>> ideas/work to advance Debian in these areas,
>
> After having read your explanation to zack: I won't get depressed and
> use that to not contribute to the teams listed above should I not get
> elected. But I also won't join them unless I'm already in.
>
> For the simple reason that, should I get elected, I will have a good
> bunch of more time available for Debian work. That will go into DPL (and
> may drift to other areas I am involved with) and from there into
> whatever-the-DPL has with those teams.
> If I am not elected, that time is simple not there.

I understand.

Thanks for your answer, and the answers of the other candidates as well.

Kind regards,
--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona