Proposed amendement: be more careful when proposing a GR.

Le Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 04:05:41PM +0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :

> I wish to propose the following general resolution, and hereby call
> for seconds.  This GR resolution proposal is identical to that
> proposed by Matthew Vernon in March:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/03/msg00000.html

Hi Ian, the seconders, and everybody,

I think that this GR does nothing but demotivating those doing the work.  It
may give a warm feeling to those who oppose the curent direction taken for
Jessie, because they can satisfy themselves that they tried everything they
could, but what Debian gains with this ?  Nobody prepared a workable
alternative, and opposing a change does not go automatically with the capacity
of building the alternative.

In the end, I think that this GR is just a show.  I do not see it winning,
nor even approaching majority.  And I think that GRs should not be proposed
if they have no serious chances to win, given that each GR costs us time,
energy, division and bitternes (and I know what I am talking about).

Therefore, I propose the following amendement.  Please do not take it
personnaly.

The Debian project asks its members to be more considerate when proposing
General Resolutions, and in particular to take care that the proposed GR has
actual chances to be accepted, considering that GRs is a disruptive process
regardless the outcome of the vote.

Enhancements of the wording are welcome.

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan