Re: Alternative proposal: focus on term limits rather than turnover

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 20 nov 14, 13:23:04, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > As a transitional measure, the terms of the current members of the Technical
> > Committee shall instead expire every 6 months starting on 2015-01-01, in
> > descending order of seniority; term limits then apply to them as normal.
>
> Since I've already messed up with the private/public replies I'll just
> make one more post and then shut up.

On the contrary, please keep providing valuable input. :)

> IMVHO:
>
> 1. hard-coding a date (any date) might provide "interesting" side
> effects, probably easier to just use the date of the adoption of the GR,
> with some grace period (e.g. one month), to allow planing for the first
> expiry.

Fair enough.  That seems fine to me.

> 2. The above reads to me (as a non-native speaker) like it would apply
> to *all* TC members, not only those with terms longer than imposed by
> the (amended) Constitution.

...it reads that way to a native speaker too; good catch. :)

> Slightly more complicated, needs review from a native speaker:
>
>     As a transitional measure, the terms of any current members of the
>     Technical Committee that exceed the limit above at the time of
>     adoption of this General Resolution shall instead expire every 6
>     months, starting one month after adoption of this General
>     Resolution, in descending order of seniority.

That definitely fixes both issues.  I'd simplify the language a bit,
given that text in a GR by definition only takes effect when the GR
passes:

As a transitional measure, the terms of any members of the Technical
Committee that already exceed the limit shall instead expire every 6
months in descending order of seniority, starting one month from now.

- Josh Triplett