Re: "done with consensus decisionmaking", "war", "rearguard battles" [was: Re: REISSUED CfV: General Resolution: Init system coupling]

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:
>> (or fighting "bitter rearguard battles").
>
> This may be a language issue, but I have been thinking about what a
> "rearguard battle" is, and I can't think of any way Ian can possibly be
> talking about himself.  The rear guard is on the back.  This must mean
> that somebody has won a fight, but continues fighting anyway.  Since Ian
> doesn't seem to have won the fight at least so far, don't you think he
> would be talking about the opposing army?  And from what I've seen, that
> might be correct, too.  At least Lennart seems like he can't get enough
> of fights.  (But then complains that he gets attacked so much...)

A rearguard action is one in which the rearguard of a retreating army lays
traps and ambushes for the advancing force, to impede their progress.

  http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rearguard-action

You seem to have misunderstood that, and have based much of the rest of
your post on that misunderstanding.

Cheers, Phil.