Re: "done with consensus decisionmaking", "war", "rearguard battles" [was: Re: REISSUED CfV: General Resolution: Init system coupling]

Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Matthew> Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> writes:
>     >> On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 12:22:07PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
>     >> > What's the procedure for removing someone from the technical
>     >> committee?
>     >>
>     >> Someone pointed out to me privately that there's a much easier
>     >> way of handling this.  See the "Maximum term for tech ctte
>     >> members" thread.  Such a proposal would deal with this without
>     >> singling anyone out and without explicitly censuring any
>     >> particular actions, and would furthermore establish an ongoing
>     >> procedure that seems more broadly useful.
>
>     Matthew> I'm not sure encouraging "if you hate Ian, vote for a
>     Matthew> maximum term for committee members" is very constructive.
>
> Hi Matthew, I feel that I at least haven't been heard very well when I
> read the above and would like to be heard differently.
>
> I do not hate Ian.  I do not think anything Josh has said implies that
> Josh hates Ian.
> I disagree with some of the actions Ian has chosen to take very
> strongly.  I believe that they tend to create a community that
> discourages a form of compassionate, constructive discussion I value
> strongly.
> I value that form of discussion strongly enough that I believe it is
> appropriate to take steps to exclude people who are not acting with
> compassion and respect.  Such steps can include talking to those people
> and asking them to step back until they are ready, as well as more
> formal procedures.
> For me, nothing about this involves hate.
> I can sometimes really understand a deep hurt that someone is feeling
> that motivates them to act in a manner I disagree with.  Often, that
> understanding is sufficient that I can connect with them and find a
> place where we can meet with compassion and respect.
> Sometimes, the greatest understanding does not bridge that gap.
>
> Obviously, I cannot speak for Josh, but I hope I at least am heard
> differently than you imply above.

Speaking for myself: I agree completely with Sam's words here.  This is
not about hate.  I simply care about the project and the people involved
in it too much to keep accepting a continued pattern of harmful behavior
against them.

- Josh Triplett