Re: "done with consensus decisionmaking", "war", "rearguard battles" [was: Re: REISSUED CfV: General Resolution: Init system coupling]

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 11:01:46AM +0200, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> On 10 November 2014 07:14, Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
> > For the sake of clarity, I'd like to point out that I didn't start this
> > thread solely because of a single IRC log, but rather because of a
> > pattern of behavior over the last year that shows no signs of changing.
>
> I do find it quite alarming that this discussion has now divulged into
> a discussion of the behavior one of the initiators of the discussion
> and has completely abandoned the actual issues. Regardless of who
> started what and when, attacking personal credibility of your opponent
> is not a winning argument.

I am not in any way attacking personal credibility.  I am expressing
concern with observed actions, which seems entirely appropriate.

> Even if person X feels that he is "at war", that alone does not make
> his technical arguments invalid.

Which is why I continue to engage with the technical arguments,
separately.

It does, however, call both his objectivity and his ability to
effectively serve on a *dispute-resolution* body into question.

> If you do not liek where Ian is coming from with his point of view -
> do not argue with him. Argue with other people. Or, better yet, argue
> with the facts.

I've done that as well, for the last year.  This has nothing to do with
his point of view on specific technical topics; there are plenty of
people on both sides of various topics (init systems and otherwise) who
seem quite capable of doing an effective job on the TC.

- Josh Triplett