Re: Maximum term for tech ctte members

Le Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 03:08:39PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> When replacing two members at a time, it might be a bit difficult to
> take that desirable balance into consideration. For example, if there are
> three candidates A - B - C in the shortlist, and A and B are basically
> clones in terms of profile, it would make sense to choose (A OR B) AND
> C. If the final decision is made via a vote, it could require to vote on
> pairs of candidates.

Hi Lucas,

actually, replacing two members at the time would give a good opportunity that
at least one of the members is not a western male that is is fully fluent
English speaker.  While there is nothing wrong with that profile by itself, we
are missing something when all the members have this profile.

It is good to value technical excellence, but the work to be done in structures
like the technical comittee needs other skills as well.  I think that somebody
who has a good capacity of synthesis, seeking advice, and understanding other
people's points of view would also be very qualified.  Said differently, I
think that we give too much importance on who the TC members are, as compared
as what they can do.  Let's remember that the TC has a long backlog, so
somebody who can learn and has time to do so will be more efficient than
somebody who knows but has no free time.

Rotating people by pairs would be a good opportunity to make it easier to
introduce diversity in the technical comittee.

(I am not suggesting to change the current proposal to ensure more rotations by
pairs).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy