Re: REISSUED CfV: General Resolution: Init system coupling

On 09/11/14 at 13:16 +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> I too value standardization.  Judging by decisions taking by other large
> distributions and upstream development, a fifth, "only support systemd
> as init system" would thus have been the most sensible option.  But for
> political reasons that's sadly not realistic.
>
> I read option 3 as saying that all packages have to support the default
> init system and *on top of that* they may, at the maintainer's
> convenience, support other init systems.

Unfortunately that's not how the proposer for Choice 3 reads it.
see subthread starting at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/10/msg00179.html
and specifically
https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/10/msg00181.html

With Choice 3, a package maintainer can decide to support only an init
system that isn't the default if the maintainer considers it a
prerequisite for its proper operation and no patches
or other derived works exist in order to support other init systems
in such a way to render software usable to the same extent.

Lucas