Re: How about always sending a copy of proposals, amendements, secondes etc. to the Secretary ?

On 04/11/14 at 18:45 -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2014, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Would it help to amend point 4.2.5 of our constitution, to request
> > that in addition to the "announcement on a publicly-readable
> > electronic mailing list", a copy of proposals, amendments, sponsors,
> > etc. must also be sent to the Secretary ? It seems unfair to request
> > the Secretary to read each and every email on debian-vote...
>
> Those of us who propose amendments and proposals should really propose a
> ballot option name, amendment, and figure out who seconded the proposals
> and just send them to the secretary in wml suitable for direct inclusion
> in the appropriate vote_nnn.wml file.
>
> I don't think it's necessary to actually amend the constitution to do
> this, because it's just something that we can do.

Note that the ballot option name is a bit tricky, because there need to
be some homogeneity among options of the same ballot (in terms of
formulation, of focus, etc.). So it's better if the secretary works with
the proposers to reach an agreement on a coherent set of option names.

An alternative would be to drop option names entirely (use original proposal,
amendment A, etc.), but have each proposal/amendment include a title or
a TL;DR line that summarizes the proposal. That title/summary/TL;DR
would then be part of the proposal, and subject to the same process for
modifications.

(on your other point, I agree that we could move the burden of
collecting Seconds to the proposer.)

Lucas