Re: Last minute discussion

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 5:25 AM, Saul Goode wrote:
>
>> I imagine I've missed other contributors, but the point is that for each of
>> the 1084 Debian Developers who are being asked to vote in this GR, there are
>> dozens, if not hundreds, of contributors who are deserving not only of
>> recognition for their contributions, but representation within the Debian
>> governance model; and the Debian Developers collectively serve the role of
>> that representation.
>
> We attempt to recognise the contributions of all direct contributors here:
>
> https://contributors.debian.org/
>
> Many of the contributors you mention are actually eligible to join
> Debian and become voting members.

Also, "do-ocracy" has nothing to do with getting a vote.  In fact it is
the antithesis of the voting that goes on.

"do-ocracy" is about the idea that if you are the person that does the
work, you should be given the freedom to do your job in the way you deem
most appropriate, on the basis that people gravitate towards their areas
of competence, so in this manner we have people of above average
competence doing each job.

Voting for someone else to do a job that has as yet failed to attract a
volunteer rarely makes anyone happy. If the designated volunteer
objects, they're just as likely to simply give up, leaving both the new
job and their existing work undone.

Hence "do-ocracy": Those doing the work end up with most of the detailed
decision making power, and if one doesn't like that the way to change
it is to find something useful to do, and do it in a manner that
demonstrates the way you think things should be done.

Proposing a vote is rarely as persuasive.

To that extent Debian is _not_ a democracy.

Also, note that one can very often do something useful for Debian
without going anywhere near the new maintainer queue, so this is much
more inclusive than the list of people who get a vote.

Thinking about any of this as a democratic failure, or the result of
people being disenfranchised is missing the point wildly.

Cheers, Phil.