Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

Ansgar Burchardt writes ("Re: Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems"):
> So if someone packages a new init system that is not compatible with
> existing init scripts (e.g. if it does not support /etc/init.d/* as a
> fallback), then it won't be able to start any service.

This point was dealt with in the TC discussion on this same text.

Packages are not required to support all init systems; they must not
require "a specific" init system.

Since in practice there is only one hegemonic init system, this is
sufficient to ensure our commitment to diversity.

Ian.