Re: [all candidates] Return to the desert island (cont.)

Hi Bart,

On 20-03-13 07:47, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:39:29PM +0100, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
>> Dear candidates, do you think that libechonest [3] should be called free
>> software? As it requires software outside of the distribution to
>> function, do you think it should be moved to contrib? What about
>> s3cmd [4] then?
>> [3] <http://packages.qa.debian.org/libe/libechonest.html>
>> [4] <http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/s3cmd.html>
>
> Good question.  See also for example bug 681659.  I don't know why
> pidgin-facebookchat would belong in section main while flashplugin-nonfree
> would belong section contrib.

You can use flashplugin-nonfree to download a piece of software that has
a nonfree license, which is then installed on your system; the result is
that you now have a system which has some non-DFSG-free software
installed. To be able to reach this situation on a system that only has
"main" enabled would be utterly wrong.

You can use pidgin-facebookchat to talk to a non-free service; but
whatever you do, the result will *never* be that you end up with a
system which has some non-DFSG-free software installed. As such, I don't
think it's necessary that you not be able to reach this on a system that
only has "main" enabled.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy
requires you to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once,