Question to all candidates: DPL's role in important package maintenance

Dear Candidates,

First of all, I wish you all the very best for the elections!

At the outset, this question is not meant to be inflammatory or to
express ire at a particular individual or set of individuals involved;
I have great respect for the contributions of all involved in the
community.

One of the questions which I've not yet seen exactly in the
discussions is on the transparency in the maintenance of non-core but
"important" packages, such as python, wherein the maintenance of the
package and policy (till a short while ago) has been, poor at best,
and we've had near zero communication from the maintainer(s) for over
a year. This has led some parts of the "community" (Debian Python, in
this case) to knock the doors of the tech-ctte[1] (recommended
reading, unless you have done so already).

My question to you is, do you envision a role for the DPL in fixing
such inadequate maintenance of important packages, or are you of the
opinion that is it up to the affected Debian "community" to stop
whining and step up with some action themselves?

Thanks.

Kumar

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=573745
--
Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs (MACINTOSH)
		-- Topic on #Linux