Re: I hereby resign as secretary

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         I am hereby resigning as secretary, effective immediately.

Thank you very much for your work in such a difficult role for so long.
Debian is certainly a better project for your efforts.

>         Mistakes happen. Mistakes can be recovered from. What can not,
>  however, is relationships, and trust, and this works both ways.  It has
>  been made clear to me that the project no longer trusts me, and many
>  consider that I have been the epitome of sleaze over the years,
>  manipulating votes for my own ends. That hurts. I have also read
>  planet. The amount of vitriol there makes it untenable for me to
>  participate in any efforts to recover from this mess.

I, for one, have never felt that you have gamed the system for your own
ends. I believe that you have always done your personal best to be as
fair as possible. I believe that you understand the nature of your past
role as Secretary and tried to be as open as you could in the process.

I trust you. I believe that a large portion of the project trusts you,
also.

>         As to the people who emailed me that they are putting together a
>  petition for the DAM to have me removed from the project, I hear you
>  too. I am going to spend the next few days evaluating how important the
>  project is to me, and whether I should save you the bother or an
>  expulsion process.

The project would suffer greatly if you left.

At a conference long ago, I got a chance to sit with Ian Murdock[1]. One
of the slides the presenter had was a bunch of penguins surrounding and
looking on one that was laying down. The presenter used this slide to
indicate that Linux users will help their fallen comrade. The presenter
went on to say that it looked like the penguins, as pictured, were
eating their young.

That is when Ian pointed out to me how true that was in the Linux
community. I wonder if Debian is exemplifying this behavior. A lot of
good people have retired lately.

It is starting to feel like that block of homes that has one too many
For Sale signs. Why is everyone leaving? What is so bad about the area?
What do they know that I don't?

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((