Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Sat, Nov 15 2008, Adeodato Simó wrote:

>> ,----[ Proposal 4: Allow release managers leeway to include non-dfsg bits as needed ]
>> |  Debian's priorities are our users and free software. We don't trade
>> |  them against each other. However during getting an release out of the
>> |  door, decisions need to be done how to get a rock stable release of the
>> |  high quality Debian is known for, release more or less on time, and to
>> |  minimize the usage of problematic software. We acknowledge that there
>> |  is more than just one minefield our core developers and the release
>> |  team are working at.
>
>> |  We as Developers at large continue to trust our release team to follow
>> |  all these goals, and therefor encourage them to continue making
>> |  case-by-case-decisions as they consider fit, and if necessary
>> |  authorize these decisions.
>
>> |  (Since this option overrides the SC, I believe it would require 3:1
>> |  majority)
>
> Also, this one should not be voted together with the rest, since it's
> an orthogonal issue. This not /exclusively/ a solution for the problem
> for Lenny.
>
> We can ask the proposer of this option what he thinks, if you don't
> agree it should be split out.

        While some of the proposals have longer lasting effects than
 just the current release, they are still related: for example, the
 proposal singled out above, if passed, would make proposal 5 moot, and
 invalidate proposal 1.

        Given that these proposals are strongly related, they should be
 on the ballot together. Post Lenny, if we do want to change our
 foundation documents, we can try and do so; but splitting out options
 on how to handle the release of lenny in view of firmware blobs, and
 the apparent conflict with the SC, would result in a botched
 decision. Serial votes with subsets of options really lend themselves
 to tactical voting our voting method is not designed to deal with.

        manoj
--
Screw up your courage!  You've screwed up everything else.