Re: call for seconds: on firmware (was: on firmware (possible proposal))

Le Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 09:12:25PM +0100, Peter Palfrader a écrit :

> I'm hereby proposing the following general resolution:
>
> | Firmware is data such as microcode or lookup tables that is loaded into
> | hardware components in order to make the component function properly.
> | It is not code that is run on the host CPU.
> |
> | Unfortunately such firmware often is distributed as so-called blobs,
> | with no source or further documentation that lets us learn how it works
> | or interacts with the hardware in question.  By excluding such firmware
> | from Debian we exclude users that require such devices from installing
> | our operating system, or make it unnecessarily hard for them.
> |
> | Therefore the Debian project resolves that
> |  a) firmware in Debian does not have to come with source.  While we do
> |     prefer firmware that comes with source and documentation we will not
> |     require it,
> |  b) we however do require all other freedoms that the DFSG mandate from
> |     components of our operating system, and
> |  c) such firmware can and should be part of our official installation media.

Hi all,

can the secretaries state whether it is a supermajority option or not?

If yes, how will we deal with it after it is voted? The GR will not be a
foundation document but will rule over one. It will be hidden between many
other GRs, which is in my opinion messy, especially if it happens multiple
times: it will raise the entry barrier for people who want to understand
Debian's principles.

If the goal is to make a permanent decision, I would recommend a clear
permanent change of our foundation documents.

Another concern is that while I feel that there is a strong majority who is
keen on "releasing Lenny with the firmwares", I am not sure if we all agree on
the other consequences of this GR. My understanding of it is that it allows
source-less firmwares in main, but Peter mentioned an interpretation in which
the consequence of the GR is the creation of a new section (whith a transitory
period where the firmwares stay in main).
([🔎] 20081112111410.GW5485@anguilla.noreply.org). In terms of workload for some
developpers, it makes a big difference. I would really prefer hearing their
opinion before voting for a supermajority resolution that may not be applied if
nobody wants to deal with the work overhead of having a new section outside
main.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy