Re: Counter-proposal: reaffirm support for the elected DPL

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006, Sam Hocevar wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006, Loïc Minier wrote:
> > The Debian Project reaffirms its support to its DPL.
> > The Debian Project does not object to the experiment named "Duck
> > Tank"
>    I do not like how this "not objecting" might be interpreted as
> support. I want Debian to neither object nor not object. If it is to be
> unassociated with the experiment, I want Debian to clearly state that it
> is by no ways associated with the experiment.

 I think the sentence "However, this particular experiment is not the
 result of a decision of the Debian Project." is clear enough to clarify
 that Debian is by no ways associated with the experiment.

 I do not only think that Debian does not have to object to Dunc, but
 also that Debian should rejoice that some projects are aiming at
 improving Debian or at releasing Etch in time.

> > The Debian Project wishes success to projects funding Debian or
> > helping towards the release of Etch.
>    I do not like how this statement implies that the position of Debian
> is that Dunc-Tank helps towards the release of Etch. It might be or
> might not be helping, and that will be for Debian to decide /after/ it
> has happened.

 The sentence states that "The Debian Project wishes success", not that
 it thinks that Dunc Tank will succeed.  This is a very generic
 statement, and you proved on IRC that you can be imaginative of projets
 which every member of Debian would object to, but which would still be
 "funding Debian".  I didn't plan to define very precisely what a
 "project funding Debian" is for this particular GR.  I thought the
 examples of Dunc tank and of the current landscape of companies funding
 Debian were good enough to illustrate how "funding Debian" could look
 like.
   I certainly didn't want this to imply that the Debian Project thinks
 that Dunc will have a positive net result; it was about the Debian
 Project wishing sucess.

 This is a bit out of context for other readers, since part of this
 discussion appeared on IRC, but I do not think it is necessary to build
 walls to guard of virtual problems.  I think there will be time to
 adapt our position in case this is wrongly interpreted.

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>