Re: Proposal - Amendment - allow hardware support from non-free into the debian system

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:25:44PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> So, the full position statement proposed is:
>
> THE DEBIAN PROJECT:
>         1. reaffirms its dedication to providing a 100% free system to
> our users according to our Social Contract and the DFSG; and
>         2. encourages licensors of all works to make those works
> available not only under licenses that permit modification, but also in
> forms that make such modifications practical; and
>         3. as a special exception to help users who have vital hardware
> without free software drivers yet, the Debian system and official CD
> images may include hardware-support packages from the admin section of
> the non-free archive area which conform to all Debian Free Software
> Guidelines except guideline 2 (Source Code), or an archive section/area
> with equivalent requirements.

I've tried to consolidate all the little "I would second this if" and
remarks that people made (and I agree to), but that MJ Ray didn't
outright reject. How about something like that? Would in particular MJ
Raj, Sven Luther, Julien Blache agree with this?

Changes:

 - remove "vital" (already accepted by MJ Ray)

 - don't declare firmware in non-free to be part of the Debian system,
   just that installation media may include it

 - don't speak about "non-free drivers", but only _firmware_. This so
   that we don't create an unwanted loophole that would permit
   ... non-free drivers that run on the "main" CPU in the kernel.

 - My pet peeve (but feel free to make an amended amendment proposal
   without it): if there is a free software, but it is significantly
   less featurefull or broken, we may include the non-free one.

THE DEBIAN PROJECT:

 1. reaffirms its dedication to providing a 100% free system to
    our users according to our Social Contract and the DFSG; and

 2. encourages licensors of all works to make those works available
    not only under licenses that permit modification, but also in
    forms that make such modifications practical; and

 3. as a special exception to help users who have hardware for which
    no complete functioning free firmware is available, the Debian
    installation media images may include selected firmware from
    non-free archive, which conforms to all Debian Free Software
    Guidelines except guideline 2 (Source Code).

Lionel