Proposal - Amendment - allow hardware support from non-free into the debian system

Here is my (slightly rushed) write-up of a non-free-hw compromise
option.  Please second it if you think it should appear on the vote.

This amendment to <20060822221804.GC28755@mauritius.dodds.net> removes
the rationale and "therefore", replaces "authors" in point 2 with
"licensors", removes point 3, and replaces point 4 with "as a special
exception to help users who have vital hardware without free software
drivers yet, the Debian system and official CD images may include
hardware support packages from the admin section of the non-free archive
area which conform to all Debian Free Software Guidelines except
guideline 2 (Source Code), or an archive section/area with equivalent
requirements."

So, the full position statement proposed is:

THE DEBIAN PROJECT:
        1. reaffirms its dedication to providing a 100% free system to
our users according to our Social Contract and the DFSG; and
        2. encourages licensors of all works to make those works
available not only under licenses that permit modification, but also in
forms that make such modifications practical; and
        3. as a special exception to help users who have vital hardware
without free software drivers yet, the Debian system and official CD
images may include hardware-support packages from the admin section of
the non-free archive area which conform to all Debian Free Software
Guidelines except guideline 2 (Source Code), or an archive section/area
with equivalent requirements.

Personal rationale:

- - I'm not giving a full rationale here because this has been discussed
in extreme depth already and we're voting for a policy more than its
rationale.  For what it's worth, I wrote this proposal after
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/08/msg00123.html and
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/09/msg00010.html and my notes
from -vote are http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/debian#dfsgwaiving

- - this neither supports nor reverses the decision of the Release Team
about works such as images, video, and fonts.  I don't think that the
two issues should be combined: no videos seem as vital as firmware for
installation.  This GR should neither promote that decision to policy,
nor override it.

- - this tries to specify a compromise for hardware support in a way that
/could/ be done today by moving linux-* to non-free (but I hope that
isn't what happens) while trying to leave most of the implementation
decisions to the relevant maintainers and delegates.  I hope that it's
some sort of split between main and a new non-free-hw, but who knows?