Re: questions for all candidates

Le Mar 28 Février 2006 13:00, Bill Allombert a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 02:01:58AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > The campaign period is open according to
> > <http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_002>, so here are two
> > questions for all of the candidates.
> >
> > 1. The past two years have seen higher numbers of candidates
> > standing for DPL than in the past.  While our voting system has no
> > problem scaling to seven candidates, comments I've heard from a
> > number of developers suggest that a high number of candidates makes
> > it more difficult for voters to navigate the ballot and cast
> > informed votes.  I'm sure when platforms are posted you'll tell us
> > why each of you believes that you personally should run, but what
> > do you think about having seven candidates in this election?  Is it
> > a healthy thing that we have so many developers willing to sit in
> > the hot seat, or is it a sign of fragmentation in the project and a
> > lack of strong leadership?
>
> (I would be interested by the answer of non-candidate to this
> question as well.)

My understanding is that debian is quite large, and that it lacks (not
that I'd like to see happen !) political structures (like political
parties) that choose a candidate to present to the elections.

If I can take the last french elections for the “Président de la
République” as an example, you'll see that the parties that had not a
sound understanding, presented a *lot* of candidates (that clearly led
to our catastrophical second turn).

That's the current state of debian: DPL candidates are individualities,
not leaders of a group/party/... and thus, the number of candidates is
clearly a growing function of the number of the DDs. the more debian
grows, the more DPL candidates we will have, and sadly the less DDs
will feel represented by the DPL (which makes the whole thing a vicious
circle).

Disclaimer: This mail intends to explain how I understand the whole
thing, and does not want to suggest anything, especially I really don't
think that having parties in debian would be wise !

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit