Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

Craig Sanders wrote:

> don't be an idiot. you only have to keep the invariant sections if you
> are DISTRIBUTING a copy. you can do whatever you want with your own
> copy.

Well, creating modified versions of a copyrighted work requires the
permission of the copyright holder. In some countries this modification
may count as fair use or equivelant. In countries where it doesn't, I
quote the GFDL:

"In addition, you must do these things in the Modified Version: [...] L.
Preserve all the Invariant Sections of the Document, unaltered in their
text and in their titles"

Further, I have always considered having the right to help my neighbors
an important part of free software. If I can't distribute my modified
version to my neighbor, it's not free software.

> ps: according to your bogus argument, that also means any non
> US-ASCII/iso-8859-1 document is non-free simply because you can't use it
> on some common PDAs in the US. what an asinine assertion.

That would be an asinine assertion. Good thing I never made it.

If the license says that the document may not be translated to ASCII,
that'd be non-free. That's what I said. Nothing more.

> or, similarly,
> that because YOU can't read Japanase (or some other non-english
> language) that foreign language documents are non-free.

I am completely baffled as to how you come to this conclusion.