Re: A new practical problem with invariant sections?

On 12 Feb 2006, Craig Sanders told this:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:31:20PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>> Now, I'd like to download this (translated) manual and place it on
>> a portable device I own, so I can easily read it without killing a
>> bunch of trees. I think this is clearly a useful modification, and
>> I think that I should be able to do this for a DFSG-free work.
>>
>> But, there is a problem: My portable device understands only ASCII,
>> or maybe ISO-8859-1 if I'm lucky (at least in the US, this is
>> pretty common). It doesn't understand UTF-8, Shift-JIS, etc. It is
>> not technically possible to keep the Japanese invariant section.
>>
>> I believe this gives a notable, practicle reason why invariant
>> sections are not free.
>
> you zealot freaks have no qualms about lying, do you?
>
> don't be an idiot. you only have to keep the invariant sections if
> you are DISTRIBUTING a copy. you can do whatever you want with your
> own copy.
>
> there are no jack-booted FSF storm-troopers ready to kick down your
> door because you didn't copy an invariant section to your own
> PDA. nor even any trained attack-lawyers. the GFDL does not restrict
> personal use as you are trying to imply that it does.

        What if he wants to further distribute the stuff to other
 people who are using a device like his? I mean, sharing stuff useful
 to me is one of the prime reasons I like free software -- if stuff is
 useful, I can share.

        Of course, in this case, GFDL would prohibit sharing
 information.  And people call that free?

        manoj

--
Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is cheval, and
everything else follows in the same way. -- Alan J. Perlis