Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement

On 12/31/2005 09:02 PM, Anthony Towns wrote:

> The major conflicts are:
>
> (2.1) Invariant Sections
>
> The most troublesome conflict concerns the class of invariant sections
> that, once included, may not be modified or removed from the documentation
> in future. Modifiability is, however, a fundamental requirement of the
> DFSG, which states:
>
>     3. Derived Works
>
>     The license must allow modifications and derived works, and
>     must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the
>     license of the original software.

By this argument, the GPL must be removed or authors must allow anyone
to modify it. Clearly the intent of the Debian community and the DFSG is
not to require abandonment of the protections of the GPL.

There seems to be some strict pedantic attempt to apply all rules to
every condition. This isn't how rules or the law actually works. Common
sense must prevail over strict interpretation of rules. We live in a
world of Godel, not Whitehead & Russell.

The DFSG should be modified to include exceptions for the GFDL and other
free documentation licenses. The other way around is utter madness.

Just an opinion of a debian user,
Jeff