Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:25:22AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> No. You obviously never tried or read the mails about it. If you don't
>> have lib64 -> lib linked you get lots and lots of random breakages and
>> misbuilds. In effect you have to touch and fix all 2000+ library
>> packages. There is no such thing as just "fix the base libs".
>
> We're obviously talking about two very different things.
>
> I'm talking about "enough 32 bit support that it's possible to install and
> run more 32 bit packages after upgrading less important debian packages".

Which first implies getting all the 64bit packages out of the way.

It's the "getting 64bit out of the way" that is the big problem.
For pure64 we linked lib64 to lib so nothing has to be moved and sid
sources compile and run as they are.

> If we have to have every package fixed before we fix any of them,
> we'll never get anything fixed.

Which is another advantage of going straight to multiarch and not over
biarch. Multiarch moves packages into the proper subdirs as they are
ported. The unported stuff doesn't have to be moved out of the way
first as long as you only have unported 32bit _or_ unported 64bit
(if all works as planed).

Then the base libs can be ported in a matter of days to get to what
you propose.

MfG
        Goswin