* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> There is no and never will be a transition plan from i386 to
> amd64. That is just not possible. You can't replace dpkg since then it
> lacks its libc and you can't replace libc since then dpkg lacks the
> old one. And so on for every other essential package.

Eh, you might still be able to make it work.  I'm not convinced this
will be all that much of a problem unless you try to do a full-blown
move to one from the other, that might be difficult and complex.  If all
you want to do is add the ability to run the other arch on top of
whatever you've got, that might not be all *that* bad.

> The only possible transition is from arch X to multiarch which is for
> sarge+1 earliest.

Well, maybe you already agree..  I'm talking about from blah to
multiarch, of course.

	Stephen