On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 03:24:07PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 02:04:54PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > People choose ix86 (or amd64) over PowerPC because
> > a) bang/buck ratio.
> > b) runs windows (games.)
>
> Those are two reasons.
>
> Unfortunately, the current debian amd64 port doesn't look like it supports
> cedega (forinstance).
>
> More generally, by not providing 32 bit support, we're reducing the
> bang/buck ratio.

Let me put it that way:

	You Do Not Get To Decide What Hardware People Buy.

Agreed?

Fact of life: amd64 boxen are going to be very common.
Fact of life: for very large subset of debian userland, pure64 works and
on these boxen it works better than debian/i386.
Fact of life: multiarch is vapour and will not be usable for quite a while.

Care to explain how not having any 64bit userland would be better?

> > It currently looks like ia32 will be replaced by amd64/ia32e as both
> > AMD64 and intel are changing the products and adding the
> > 64-bit extension does not seem to be very expensive for the CPU
> > manufacturers.
>
> Agreed.  And, Debian's amd64 currently isn't positioned to be useful in
> this sense.

In which sense?  Given an amd64 box (and that's not up to you), having
that beast is better than not having it.  If nothing else, i386 with
amd64 kernel and pure64 in chroot is *obviously* better than i386 alone.

Populist lusers with agenda on one side, Jobs-worthy reality distortion field
on another...  What joy ;-/