On 2004-07-15 Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:17:14PM -0800, D. Starner wrote:
> > To become LSB compliant would involve changing half the packages in
> > Debian to achieve a result to many AMD64 developers consider inelegant;
> > furthermore, a multiarch design is being created that would allow
> > us to install Linux binaries on NetBSD or Hurd, or ix86 binaries on
> > PowerPC, provided an appropriate emulator, as well as 32-bit on a
> > 64-bit system. This will require changing half the packages, but for
> > a better design. It's not a hack, it's a feature.

> The most likely reason someone would pick the AMD64 architecture over
> the PowerPC architecture is that AMD64 can natively run I386 binaries.
> What you seem to be saying here (and I must admit that I've not tried
> to install the current debian amd64 system) is that you want Debian to
> go with some vaporware emulation capability, instead of providing that
> native support.
[...]

People choose ix86 (or amd64) over PowerPC because
a) bang/buck ratio.
b) runs windows (games.)

It currently looks like ia32 will be replaced by amd64/ia32e as both
AMD64 and intel are changing the products and adding the
64-bit extension does not seem to be very expensive for the CPU
manufacturers.
               cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"