Re: Q: guidelines for post-campaign period?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 05:18:42PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:50:17 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:
>
> > In Australia we have a 'blackout' on electronic media advertising
> > for the three full days before an election.
>
> 	Umm. The link below tells us that there is a blackout, but not
>  the rationale for it.

True. I searched both the legislation (at www.austlii.edu.au)
and the Australian Broadcasting Authority's web site (www.aba.gov.au)
and neither of them gives the rationale. The aec.gov.au page says that
the limitation is in the Broadcasting Act, not the Elections Act.

>  the rationale for it. And why is the blackout limited to certain
>  media?  There are a lot of parochial rules that are not necessarily
>  ones we ought to emulate (for example, I can't invite male caucasians
>  to a billiards parlor a week before polling starts, out where I live).

I wasn't actually agreeing with the proposal, only giving precedent.

Hamish