Re: A(nother) question to the candidates

Yes. I know I'm not a candidate but I thought I'd answer this anyway
to clarify what CDDs are doing and advocating. :)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 02:14:39PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> I have seen lots of discussions about CDD and splitting up Debian
> into a core and more-or-less independent topic specific sections
> recently. While I can perfectly understand the motivation behind
> these discussions, I have one particular "fear" in this direction.
> To the candidates: What do you think how we should determine which
> software components go into the core system, and which have to go
> into separately provided "distros"?  On which criteria, in our
> opinion, should we base those decisions?

I'm not sure who is advocating this vision of CDDs your question seems
to be related to.

AIUI the dominant CDD vision (the one being pushed by
Debian-Edu/Skolelinux, Debian-NP, and some others) is a framework that
allows people to create Custom Distribution *fully* within a Debian
system through two types of work (the technology people are using
right now is different but we all think it would be great to work on a
common infrastructure as well):

(1) Custom package selection: some people are big on tasks; others
    like Meta-Packages; others are happy with a list of packages
    passed to the installer and never referred to again.

(2) Custom package configuration. The only compelling solution I've
    heard of to do this within Debian is the addition of low-priority
    or un-asked Debconf questions to existing packages.

Now obviously, achieving these goals is going to take some time and
those of us that would like usable distros in the near future are
going to need to find (and in fact have found) interim solutions.

More information is on our wiki page:
  http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian

In any case, I don't know know of any CDD developers who are
advocating breaking up Debian into a core system and other bits. I
have heard something like this discussed in terms of making releases
more easy by limiting a release to a small core part of the
distro. CDDs may have been brought up in this regard. Quite honestly,
I think there's *way* too much overlap between different CDDs to make
this sort of division very practical. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding
though.

Regards,
Mako

--