Re: Candidate questions/musings

> Do you think it's possible for Debian to have a leader anymore?

Yes, definitely.

> Recent "leaders" have all been coordinator type people.  And while
> that's fine... they've all been nice, intelligent, thoughtful people
> who are of course very dedicated to the project... none of them seems
> to have really done much to take Debian anywhere new and interesting.

A leader can't really lead a project as huge as Debian wherever he/she
wants to, unless the project agrees and supports it. Nor should all the
ideas come from the leader only, we are not a bunch of dumb sheeps, are
we?

If there is nothing interesting going on in Debian (and I think that's
not true, even though I haven't been paying much attention to mailing
list in the last couple of months), that's not necessarily the fault of
our leader.

Besides, without a project leader, a person to contact, who would take
Debian seriously? I wouldn't, that's for sure.

> Frankly, the most exciting development in Debian I've seen lately is
> Bruce Perens' UserLinux, which aims to produce something that would be
> much more useful to me in a lot of ways than 13 cd's full of packages
> that I'll most likely never use.  Not that I'm not grateful for them,
> it's really handy to have them, just... I want a coherent core +
> aptable addons.

AFAICS the project to make it easier to build custom debian based
distros would solve this "problem" nicely. (I must say that I like that
13cds - if I need something, it is handy. If I just want to install the
core system, I burn the first cd, and if I need something that's not on
it, it is still aptable, no problem there)

> PS Really, I mean no disrespect to Martin or any other past leaders.
>    The ones I've met have been very nice individuals.  Maybe too nice
>    to kick some ass and make things happen?:-)

Though I'm not a leader, and I hope I won't even get close to it, I'll
be happy to kick your ass for even thinking about not having a leader

--
Gergelybrush Nagywood
 Mighty Pirate And Ass Kicker