Re: Q: guidelines for post-campaign period?

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:29:22 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> Mr. Secretary, The Debian Constitution[1] describes the DPL election
> process as follows:

> 5.2. Appointment

> 1. The Project Leader is elected by the Developers.
> 2. The election begins nine weeks before the leadership post becomes
>       vacant, or (if it is too late already) immediately.
> 3. For the following three weeks any Developer may nominate
>       themselves as a candidate Project Leader.
> 4. For three weeks after that no more candidates may be nominated;
>       candidates should use this time for campaigning (to make their
>       identities and positions known). If there are no candidates at
>       the end of the nomination period then the nomination period is
>       extended for three further weeks, repeatedly if necessary.
> 5. The next three weeks are the polling period during which
>       Developers may cast their votes. Votes in leadership elections
>       are kept secret, even after the election is finished.
> 6. The options on the ballot will be those candidates who have
>       nominated themselves and have not yet withdrawn, plus None Of
>       The Above. If None Of The Above wins the election then the
>       election procedure is repeated, many times if necessary.
> 7. The decision will be made using the method specified in section
>       §A.6 of the Standard Resolution Procedure. The quorum is the
>       same as for a General Resolution (§4.2) and the default option
>       is "None Of The Above".
> 8. The Project Leader serves for one year from their election.

> Given the above, do you interpret the Constitution as forbidding any
> activities during the polling period that are permitted during the
> campaigning period, with the exeception of the casting of ballots?

	I do not see any language in the constitution governing the
 conduct of the candidates during the voting period. If someone thinks
 I am missing something, please bring it to my attention.

> In other words, would you regard it as irregular if the candidates
> continued to engage in discussion that makes "their identities and
> positions known", even after the close of the campaigning period?

	I have no official position on this matter. The candidates may
 come up with any rules of conduct governing this period, either
 singly, or as a group.

> I am requesting an official interpretation of the Constitution on
> this point, in your capacity as Debian Project Secretary.  If you
> feel this issue is not ripe for adjudication, then a simple advisory
> opinion will serve just fine.

	manoj
 with the secretary hat on.
--
Two men came before Nasrudin when he was magistrate.  The first man
said, "This man has bitten my ear -- I demand compensation." The