Re: Questions to candidates

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:39:51PM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Yes, but had I disagreed with Branden, my opinion would've been noted
> > and very quickly discarded.
>
> I think we are going personal here and i don't like to (since i am sure it
> will endup in a flameware, <humor>want to bet Daniel that if it is not for
> us, someone else will turn this it into a flame? ;)</humor>), but Thomas
> Hood (236780-submitter) expressed his disagrement with Branden on a
> certain decision and i don't read anywhere that Thomas is 'wrong'.

YOU'RE AN IDIOT! CHUTUP MORMON

(That, by the way, was sarcasm.)

That was something Branden didn't really care about - if it was
something Branden had a strong opinion on, it would've been a different
story.

> > If Branden is suggesting this style he used to manage one very active
> > contributor (such as ignoring my emails asking about some issues and
> > then flaming me for doing it 'wrong' when I had to do *something*), can
> > be successfully expanded to cover the entire Debian project, we're in
> > trouble.
> [SNIP]
> > Branden's reactions to my actions are what's in question here.
>
> I find perfectly normal that some people don't like other people and this
> is true for all of us. It is simply part of the human nature. It happens
> everywhere all the time.. at work, with friends and so on...
>
> And at this point you might also want to be fair towards all the
> candidates. How would you interpret this mail from the current DPL?
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2003/debian-project-200311/msg00116.html

As being quite harsh.

> (note that this reference is NOT meant to take credits away from anyone
> but only to show that even Martin as Branden as everyone else has a human
> side, as well all of you can just poke debian-apache for my flames..
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-apache/2004/debian-apache-200403/msg00220.html
> oh yes.. i am human too. doh! ;))

Yeah, a quick application of Google will show I cannot moral-high-horse
on this one. I don't have any real position on the flames, just on the
fact that Branden is incapable of working with quite a few people -
Martin seems to have pissed far less developers off than Branden.

Of course, Branden is polarising (witness the 'Branden Fan Club'), for
example, but I'd rather a DPL who could work quite well with all the
people, than one who could work brilliantly with 20%, non-commitally
with 40%, and not at all with another 40%.

> Of course we do agree that who is going to take leadership of Debian will
> have to behave impartially on top of his/her personal feelings, but I
> don't think it is fair to point the finger to any of the candidates using
> a single personal case.

I don't think this is a single personal case; Branden said 'look how
well I have managed the XSF, this is how well I'll manage Debian'. I
felt I had to point out that this was not a good thing.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org