Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:58:02PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Personally, I find swearing much less offensive than making things so
> personal that you title threads with things like "Serious problems with
> Mr Troup" or "Why Anthony Towns is wrong".

...which is why you felt compelled to quote me swearing in IRC[1], when
my poor defenseless victim was an RC bug[2], right?  :)

Take heart, for you have shamed me -- I should indeed be nicer to
impersonal, inanimate abstractions.  :)

Given that reproach, I should probably also refrain from investing much
emotional vigor in resolving RC bugs -- I'm sure you'd appreciate that.
:)

Anyway, to give this message some serious content, I'll note that I
share your relative evaluation of the offensiveness of these practices.
As I said in my platform:

  [...]it's too hard for those who are "clueless" to get clues, and in
  the absence of proper procedural remedies for dissatisfied people,
  arguments become personalized. That, in turn, puts people on the
  defensive (sometimes for themselves, sometimes on behalf of others),
  and recriminations spiral out of control.[3]

It might be worth noting that there *isn't* a plank in my platform about
swearing.

[1] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20040311071838.GC27024@azure.humbug.org.au>
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/msg00719.html
[2] Nope, not the submitter, the bug itself.  I didn't remember at the
    time who filed it, and I don't remember now.  It might've even been me.
[3] http://people.debian.org/~branden/dpl/campaign/2004/platform.xhtml#s2p1

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Half of being smart is knowing what
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    you're dumb at.