Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates, and a blatantly political answer

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 03:53:00PM +1030, Ron wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 06:25:47PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > Furthermore, I'd like to hear why you think that
> > I am not honest and enthusiastic, and ideally I'd like to see some
> > concrete examples.
>
> The only 'example' I can hold you to is your own promises.  It has been
> claimed  that you were in fact something of a Do Nothing DPL --

Uhm, care to back this up? It's certainly not how I experienced the last
year.

 * Martin actively worked on improving the mips/mipsel/arm autobuilders
   situation by organizing hardware and coordinating with the
   admins[1][2]

 * He played an excellent role in toning down and moderating the evil
   elmo/buildd/nm flamewar through thoughtful, calming mails.
   Both Ingo Juergensmann and Goswin Brederlow acknowledged that he was
   responsive and trying to solve their 'issues'.

 * He coordinated internally with all the important infrastructure
   groups, resulting in new listmasters, a new security officer
   and a much smoother processing of NM applicants.

 * One of the first visible things he did was defending our reputation
   when 'Trusted Debian' was announced. By talking to them he made them
   change their name to 'Adamantix' and also setup a Trademark committee
   [3]

 * In order to settle the GFDL license problems, he supported the GDL
   commitee doing direct negotiations with the FSF. He also talked to
   Bradley Kuhn directly on how to solve this issue.

 * He made it possible for some developers to better work on the
   critical things they do for Debian, like organizing better hardware
   for them or arrange for real-life meetings.

These are only the major things I remember from last year, taken from
all areas a DPL should be active in, IMHO (internal communication,
internal coordination, external representation, external cooperation).

If you google for 'site:lists.debian.org "From: Martin Michlmayr -
Debian Project Leader"', you can get all the small bits he did
internally - I'm sure he also wrote loads of DPL mail to external
parties.

Apart from that, I see his enthusiasm and dedication for the project and
his job as leader daily on the mailing-lists and on irc.

> If, as both you and Branden assert in your campaigning, things are mostly
> ok, but as always, can be improved -- and if the people in a position to
> make those improvements are already aware of and working on the issues,
> then why is it that we need, or would even want, anything other than a
> Do Nothing DPL, that justs gets on with their own part of that, and
> keeps everybody smiling for most of the rest of the time?

IMO, the project would get along fine without a DPL or a 'do nothing
DPL'. But as the last year has shown, it will be much better off with an
DPL who actively tries to resolve issues and faciliate the work of
others.

cheers,

Michael

--