Re: tb's questions for the candidates

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 06:51:38PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
> > In other words, do you perceive a concrete need for such process now?
> > If not, do you think we are facing an imminent or serious threat of
> > abuse of power on someone's part in the absense of such a process?
>
> Hey, I'm asking the questions here! :)
>
> Seriously, my point is suppose someone does something horrible.  Not
> abuse of power per se (we know how to deal with that), but something
> else.  I don't know what.  Do you think we should not worry about
> process until we are faced with John Q. Developer, a big fight on the
> mailing lists, and the sudden need to think up how to decide if JQD
> stays or goes?

Given the vagueness of your question ("something horrible...[n]ot abuse
of power...but something else...I don't know what"), yes -- I think we
should not worry about it until we're faced with it.

We don't generally fight for fighting's sake on the mailing lists (at
least, not near the *beginning* of a thread), so a list discussion of
the infraction is the best first course of action for an almost
unbounded problem domain, in my opinion.

If you can think of something specific, or at least significantly less
vague, I may be able to offer a more detailed answer.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Men use thought only to justify
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    their wrong doings, and speech only