Re: tb's questions for the candidates

On 09 Mar 2004 18:51:38 -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>> In other words, do you perceive a concrete need for such process
>> now?  If not, do you think we are facing an imminent or serious
>> threat of abuse of power on someone's part in the absense of such a
>> process?

> Hey, I'm asking the questions here! :)

> Seriously, my point is suppose someone does something horrible.  Not
> abuse of power per se (we know how to deal with that), but something
> else.  I don't know what.  Do you think we should not worry about
> process until we are faced with John Q. Developer, a big fight on
> the mailing lists, and the sudden need to think up how to decide if
> JQD stays or goes?

	If the dewveloper has done something horrible, why would there
 be disagreement as to what to do about them (apart from perhaps a
 difference in degree)?  I think we are far better off treating the
 situation on its merits, rather than tying our hands with some
 overweening bureacratic rule book that probably can't even begin to
 cover the nuances of the situations that can develop.

	I would rather leave some trust in the individuals who
 comprise Debian, rather than give in to paronia and try to restrict
 any options they have with a thicket of rules and regulations and
 rules lawyers.

	manoj
--
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite." Bertrand Russell, _Sceptical_Essays_,