Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:08:24AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-03-09 07:20:34 +0000 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
> wrote:
>
> >Thomas, for your information, until yesterday or so, i never have seen
> >any compromise from the drop non-free folk.
>
> Why is that? Because Sven wouldn't discuss compromise! Supporters of
> Suffield's drop GR cannot reach a compromise if you won't engage, as

Yeah, but i also saw nobody on the other side engage with me on this
issue, so let's agree that nobody wanted to have anything to do with the
others right now. I guess the keep non-free people will win, and we can
resort to drop individual non-free packages as needed without needing to
be loud and bureaucratic about it.

> their guesses about your view will be as wrong as your frequent
> guesses about theirs. You refused to discuss compromises in any
> detail, writing things like "i am prefectly happy with the status quo"
> and accusing the supporters of the drop of "bullying of their fellow
> debian devels".[1]

Well, again, my short encounter with asufield and branden on irc severly
offended me, and i think that a first step to find a compromise would be
to refrain from using insults and such. This is what i claimed about
bullying tactics, and altough i don't have the irc log, i guess others
have it.

> Further, you seemed keen not to discuss any non-free.org because "none
> official debian debianized stuff is not to be trusted"[2] which I took
> to mean third-party packages. That's a view you've restated a few
> times since, I think.

Yeah, and i still believe in that. I also believe that non-free is evil,
but still maintain non-free packages, so this is no reason not to engage
in a compromise discussion. But like said, insults are not part of this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther