Re: Why Anthony Towns is wrong

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:19:54PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > > I don't make any claims on the time of Debian developers.  They can
> > > spend that time or not.  Many Debian developers already maintain
> > > separate apt-get repositories.  The BTS is a help, but not the only
> > > way to manage bug reports.
> >
> > Yeah, but just because you say something, it is not necessarily reality.
>
> You gotta actually say what's wrong with what I say.  Anything might
> be wrong, but merely pointing that out isn't a contribution.

I already said so. Even if you want to say that the time past on
packaging non-free stuff is not debian time, or that the time that will
be wasted in setting up non-free.org is not debian time, this is wrong,
since the persons doing this work do it in their volunteer time, and for
the same reasons they do the rest of their packaging work.

And so you know, i guess that this current discussion has taken me more
time this past month that i ever needed to work on the unicorn modem
driver all the time i have been maintaining it. ocaml in non-free took
more time, but it was there many years.

> > > In my opinion, non-free software is not part of Debian.  Time spent
> > > maintaining it is *already* time taken away from Debian.
> >
> > Which is why it is best to minimize said time.
>
> Sure, but is it's Debian's business?  My PhD work takes lots of time

Naturally it is. Do you really think we would care about our non-free
packages if we were not DD ? i doubt so since there are nice .rpm
packages available. And i sincerely doubt that your PhD work is in any
way comparable to that, unless you are tbm, naturally :))

> away from Debian.  But it doesn't follow that Debian should organize
> Latin translators for me so that I don't have to do it and could spend
> more time on Debian.

On the other hand, you could provide a latin translation for the debian
packages, or more specifically the debian-installer :))

> > And naturally, it seems that most maintainers of non-free stuff are MIA
> > anyway, or don't care about the packages.
>
> This is part of the problem, I think.  We should drop those packages;
> we should not have the same package-retention policy for Debian and
> for the non-free stuff.  The non-free stuff should be held to a tight
> standard.

Which is the same thing i have ever said, and was heavily insulted
because i said it by your co non-free removal proponents.

Friendly,

Sven Luther