Re: Why Anthony Towns is wrong

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> > I don't make any claims on the time of Debian developers.  They can
> > spend that time or not.  Many Debian developers already maintain
> > separate apt-get repositories.  The BTS is a help, but not the only
> > way to manage bug reports.
>
> Yeah, but just because you say something, it is not necessarily reality.

You gotta actually say what's wrong with what I say.  Anything might
be wrong, but merely pointing that out isn't a contribution.

> > In my opinion, non-free software is not part of Debian.  Time spent
> > maintaining it is *already* time taken away from Debian.
>
> Which is why it is best to minimize said time.

Sure, but is it's Debian's business?  My PhD work takes lots of time
away from Debian.  But it doesn't follow that Debian should organize
Latin translators for me so that I don't have to do it and could spend
more time on Debian.

> And naturally, it seems that most maintainers of non-free stuff are MIA
> anyway, or don't care about the packages.

This is part of the problem, I think.  We should drop those packages;
we should not have the same package-retention policy for Debian and
for the non-free stuff.  The non-free stuff should be held to a tight
standard.

Thomas