Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:24:07PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:51:40PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I have many times lobbyed ATI and others to get access to the specs
> > which would allow to write free drivers for those, but without
> > success, and i have come to the conclusion that nothing short of the
> > full foss community moving together, or at least a large part thereof,
> > there will be nothing changing.
>
> Note that Keith Packard seemed to be quite optimistic about better ATI
> support for X during his talk at FOSDEM. He did not give any details,
> though, IIRC.

Yeah, but was it with free drivers ? I somehow doubt this very much,
since ATI is unwilling to give out specs, even to proprietary companies
like Genesi or Xig, to cite only a few, so i seriously doubt that they
would take it kindly if their IP is dissiminated everywhere in the form
of XFree86/DRI source code.

But let's hope for a better future.

Friendly,

Sven Luther