Re: "keep non-free" proposal

Em Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:42:01 +0100, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> escreveu:

> like the opensparc one for example. There is also a free hardware
> community out there, as well as free firmware people, but these are
> areas debian as whole, and the non-free proponent in particular, have
> largely been ignoring.

Indeed. We have been ignoring this kind of thing, but I would not say
we should drop the 'remove non-free' thing just because we are not
giving enough attention to free hardware. We should, instead, start
trying to have the project get into contact with them and to stabilish
some relationship with such projects to have free hardware used as
test buildd's, for example, to help them debug stuff (I'm totally clueless
on hardware stuff -- I have no idea if I'm talking shit here, but I guess
you can get the point).

That's a good thing for our next DPL to do: try to bring Debian closer
to free hardware initiatives.

> > Actually said source code would probably be quite useful from an
> > educational POV.
>
> Yeah, among other. It may also be our only chance once the
> privacy-limiting DRM laws become stronger and more enforced.

Sure thing.

Thanks,

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>