Re: General Resolution: Handling of the non-free section: proposedBallot

On 2004-03-08 14:49:28 +0000 Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> wrote:

* MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> [2004-03-08 13:37]:
At present, I have no such need for that hardware. If you do, then I think you should help to fix that bug [...]
Ah the old "every person who has a problem is Alan Cox anyway so can
write their own solutions" argument. [...]

No, the old "everyone can do something to help" argument. Notice I wrote "help to fix". Actually, I think most people are able do most things, but the boundaries aren't clear, so it's not safe to take it too far.

What does it hurt you in keeping non-free some part
of our infrastructure?

Actually, it does hurt me. Some clients got upset when I explained that my offer to support the Debian operating system distribution does not include non-free. "But it's included with Debian!" and so on. That's not my main motivation for supporting the Suffield drop GR, but you did ask.

Who does force you to work on it?

No-one, fortunately, but there are some interesting subtleties (which I think irrelevant now).