Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

        Hi!

 Thanks, Andreas, for the Cc. Didn't mention that I am not subscribed
but I am reading answers in the archives -- though they would be delayed
then :)   (no, its a real thanks this time, not sarcastic)

* Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> [2004-03-08 11:32]:
> * Gerfried Fuchs (alfie@ist.org) [040308 11:25]:
>>  Which option is: "Keep it as long as it has been moved to nonfree.org
>> (with infrastructure) and remove it then."? I guess many are missing
>> this, and I just hope this wasn't forgotten.
>
> The GR is not about the next little step, but about the fundamental
> decision whether we want to keep non-free, or remove it soon.

 But that next step influences if I am for or against. If it isn't sure
that the next step (moving it to nonfree.org instead of erasing it from
earths surface completely) will be made I am fully *against* the GR. And
I guess I am not the only one. This is a needed precondition for some of
us, I am quite confident that I am not the only one.

 If the vote for removing non-free will result in having it nowhere I am
quite sure that this would be a disservice for our users. No, I don't
want answers like "I don't like to work on non-free", they don't make
any sense. As long as there are people who would like to do it for our
users there should be the infrastructure for it somewhere.

 Btw., I wonder why the nongnu.org vs. gnu.org split wasn't mentioned.
Yes, I know, they are both about Free Software. But if the split did
work for them why shouldn't it work in here? Whats so bad about having
nonfree.org hosting that data?

> In neither case non-free is removed for sarge, so there is enough time
> to get up a non-free.org if choice 1 is taken and a non-free.org is
> wanted.

 Without the hyphen, please. But the thing is: With all those heated
discussions in here I don't think that it will happen if it isn't
decided prior to this GR. My personal opinion, right, but I am not sure
if I am the only one thinking along that lines...

> And both Choices have one in common: Settle that issue for the next
> time.

 I rather think that choice 2 (keep it) will have much less votes if it
is asured that nonfree.org will be used. And thus when nonfree.org
happens I would think the vote would go through with a vast majority
for...

 So long,
Alfie
--